a The Learning Garden: Earth Day 2008

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day 2008



Audubon’s Warbler

It is a migratory bird, wintering from the southern parts of the breeding range into western Central America.

The breeding habitat is a variety of coniferous and mixed woodland.
Audubon's Warblers nest in a tree, laying 4-5 eggs in a cup nest.
These birds are insectivorous, but will readily take berries in winter, when they form small flocks.

The song is a simple trill. The call is a hard check.
(Wikipedia)


En'owkin


Our Mother Earth is a living embodiment of our spirituality and nourishes us in all ways: physical, spiritual, mental and emotional.
- En'owkin Centre Website, Penticton, British Columbia




Path to the Learning Garden April 2007



Already I am noticing what went unnoticed before. On my way out to the garden the first thing I noticed was the noise. As I walked from my class I weaved through groups of students and crossed a parking lot before reaching the garden path. I heard many different noises from the hustle and bustle of students to cars, busses and cell phones. As I made my way towards they garden, all of these noises faded and there was a brief moment of silence before a bird chirped and a cricket did his thing. It was a little bit eerie or odd, I guess. For a brief second there was silence and it was like I was crossing into a new dimension. Something was different. I also noticed that the air was fresher. As I think about my walk out to the garden I realize that I left a stuffy classroom walked through two smoke pits and crossed a bus loading zone before reaching the fresh air of the garden. As I sat down to start to write and think about the surroundings, I noticed that the Learning Garden is a totally different setting, there are no disturbing noises and you can take a fresh breath. It appears life has slowed down. I can hear crickets. I can feel a slight breeze and the rustling of the leaves has a very calming effect.

- Middle School Student Teacher Journal Excerpt, Fall 2007. (Re-printed with permission)


Take your dreams and your ideals and write your autobiography on the topography of this time in a way that involves you in these big issues.
- David Orr, “The End of Education.”
University of British Columbia, Global Citizenship Series Lecture.
Chan Shun Centre, January 12-13, 2006.


Path to the Learning Garden April 2008





Learning neither begins nor ends at the classroom door, and creativity
cannot be inspired or demanded in a social vacuum.
- From UBC Okanagan Academic Plan
http://web.ubc.ca/okanagan/dvc/acadplan.html




As responsible members of society, the graduates of UBC will value diversity, work with and for their communities, and be agents for positive change.
- From UBC Okanagan Academic Plan





What is here? What will nature permit us to do here?
What will nature help us to do here?
- Wendell Berry on Ecological Design Intelligence




Learning Garden's Native Plants Survive Winter







Still the seasons' changes can stir the heart.
- Wei Ying Wu



Xeriscape Lives!









Pumpkin Returns to the Earth



Classroom is Ready







Small Ducks, Big Pond







Here they are. The soft eyes open
If they have lived in a wood
It is a wood
If they have lived on plains
It is grass rolling
Under their feet forever.

- James Dickey, From Benediction for the Animals



Growing older is a path
worn smooth by the
unending tread of travelers –
grandfathers and grandmothers
have gone before
mothers and fathers as well
to that doorway
where our nchichank
our that-which-separates
finds a new mhutomakan
a new road
and a new beginning.

Jack Forbes, From The Oldest Path*

*From Gatherings: The En’owkin Journal of First North American Peoples. Volume IX.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home